Friday, October 27, 2006

Miles Davis

“I'm always thinking about creating. My future starts when I wake up every morning . . . Every day I find something creative to do with my life.

Miles Davis { b May 25, 1926 }










It's always been a gift with me, hearing music the way I do. I don't know where it comes from, it's just there and I don't question it.”- Miles Davis




( Bandleader, Composer,performer - Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Organ)

These quotes are so inspiring and so are is the image drawn by miles which is called "jazz"..

Quotes from his website -- " Miles Davis was the "Picasso of Jazz," reinventing himself and his sound endlessly in his musical quest. He was an artist that defied (and despised) categorization, yet he was the forerunner and innovator of many distinct and important musical movements."
In his autobiography, Davis stated that this criticism was made because no critic could categorize this music and complained that On the Corner was promoted by the "traditional" jazz radio stations, therefore not to young African-americans. Miles himself thought that the record would be "something for black people to remember me by".


On the corner was released in 1972 – I hope I was born in 70’s, the time I have never seen ..!!
Davis refused to be confined by the expectations of his traditional audience or music critics, and continued to explore the possibilities of his new band. As he stated in his autobiography, he wanted to make music for the young afro-american audience. On the corner showed a seemingly effortless grasp of funk without sacrificing the rhythmic, melodic and harmonic nuance that had been present throughout his career. The album also showed the influences of Paul Buckmaster's studio arrangements and Stockhausen in its layered recording and post-production editing. The album was highlighted by the appearance of saxophonist Carlos Garnett. The record provoked fierce arguments from many critics, with one British critic noting: "I love Miles, but this is where I get off."
In the early 1970s, Miles kept experimenting with the electric instruments and fusing more funk into his music. In 1976, a combination of bad health, cocaine use, and lack of inspiration caused Miles to go into a 5-year retirement. He conquered his cocaine habit, received new inspiration and returned in 1981 and made a series of records . He did keep pushing music, as he was not one to rest on his feet and play his old music. He started experimenting more with synthesizers and using studio techniques in his recordings. He won a series of Grammy Awards during this decade and continued turning out sidemen, such as Garrett, Stern, and Berg,. Miles Davis died in 1991.

No comments: