Thursday, June 14, 2007

PreProduction CC

The basis of my work will be exploring only a fraction of concepts that can be applied to composition using Mathematical Structures.
I want to build a tree consisting of few different stems. I can call my tree as a “timbre tree” whose construction is defined by different random functions. The length of the tree is the order of execution of different stems and the breadth of the tree is the acoustic space under which the tree will grow.
The tree can be understood as an Environment and the stems as functions in SuperCollider. These functions are Synth Def’s that are modeled using different Ugens. The parameters of these Ugens will be generated by using random decision making procedures like coin, choose, Scramble, curdle.I could model the growth of a particular stem on Brownian movement. I can
also model growth of other stems on random procedures like Dwhite,Dbrown,Diwhite, Dibrown, Drand, or Dxrand.
I could also restrict myself by using only Random Ugens/signal generators for example Dust, PinkNoise, GrayNoise, BrownNoise and Crackle. Although this is a significant restriction ...






There could also be a function/stem in a tree, which is identical to another stem in its construction. I can apply “phase shift” to the stem by starting it at a different time from the previous one in the order of execution. Phase shifting smaller stems will result in grown stems that are now resultant stems, which are thicker and complex in their nature. This method can beused on simple or already complex rhythmic patterns to generate (morecomplex) new resultant patterns.
My tree will have a form of either ABBA or ABB’A’ or A B B (reverse) A (reverse).
When my tree is constructed, I could make a reverse copy of the waveform and then put normal and reversed in Left and right channels respectively.
These are the combinations I can have:
Left = ABB'A & Right = ABB'A (default)
Left = ABB’A’ & Right = A’ (rev) B’ (rev) B (rev) A (rev)
Left = ABA’B’ & Right = A B’ (rev) A’ (rev)
Left = ABA’B’ & Right = A B A’ (rev) B’ (rev)
Left = A B B (rev) A (rev)& Right = A (rev) B (rev) B A

No comments: